WHO: All U.S. citizens but especially those in NC, FL, MI, PA, WI.
WHAT: Request a bipartisan audit of the vote in the 2016 presidential election.
WHERE: Call and write from home.
WHEN: NOW. If the vote is to be audited, it must happen by December 13. Time is short.
WHY: An audit is a reasonable and common-sense request. Some Trump supporters argue an audit will show even bigger wins for Trump; we invite that possibility. There are a number of factors that justify an audit:
- Clinton won the popular vote by ~1.5 million votes as of this writing. (And while, yes, popular vote does not equal electoral votes, can we just agree that it makes sense that any time the winner of the popular vote loses the electoral vote, an audit – even if simply to validate the electoral winner – is a good idea?)
- U.S. intelligence confirmed that Russia was working to influence the election.
- The FBI confirmed that “bad actors” were attempting to hack voter registration sites.
- The election ended up being decided by a few hundred thousand votes in a handful of counties. Whenever an election decision is that close, an audit makes good sense.
- The massive variance between polls and final results. This may be simply because the polls were that wrong, in which case an audit will prove valuable for future polling.
- Sign the Audit the Vote petition, organized by the non-partisan organization, Verified Voting.
- Share the Verified Voting petition on your social media accounts. Raise awareness.
- Make phone calls:
Say, “My name is ____. I am a U.S. citizen and a voter. I request an audit of the 2016 presidential election. Thank you.”
Department of Justice: 202-353-1555.
Committee on Oversight and Government Reform: 202-225-5051 (majority office) and 202-225-5074 (minority office).
U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division, Voting Section: 800-253-3931.
- Email the Department of Justice with your concerns: firstname.lastname@example.org. Here is a sample email template. (Many thanks to the author.)
- Contact your representatives, especially if you live in one of the states listed above. Request that they demand an audit of the vote. Here’s how you find your elected officials.
- Verified Voting: Post-Election Audits
- What is #AuditTheVote? (Many thanks to the author.)
- USA Today: Still Time for an Election Audit
- CNN: Feds believe Russians hacked Florida election-systems vendor
- Mother Jones: The NSA Chief Says Russia Hacked the 2016 Election