WHAT: Ask electors to fulfill the responsibility of the Electoral College, as described in the Federalist Papers, and ensure “that the office of President will never fall to the lot of any man who is not in an eminent degree endowed with the requisite qualifications.”
WHERE: You can do all of this from home.
WHEN: NOW. We don’t have much time to sway electors – they vote December 19.
WHY: The Electoral College was explicitly designed to save the United States from a scenario in which an eminently unqualified and/or dangerous individual was elected. They have the power, on December 19, to vote for an alternate candidate. An elector who takes this step is what’s known as a “faithless elector.”
- Support the Hamilton Electors, a small group of electors who have already committed to not vote for Trump. Sign their petition and donate if you can.
- Write a nice email expressing your concerns about Donald Trump and respectfully asking electors to vote their conscience. Then thank them. Direct Election has sample letters and mailing labels. Ask The Electors has the email addresses. Time to Get Shit Done has sample letters.
- Write a Letter to the Editor of your local newspaper, expressing your concerns about Donald Trump and urging electors to vote their conscience. Refer to the Resources section for letter-writing guidance.
- Sign the petition asking the Electoral College to make Clinton President. Election experts say this outcome may be unlikely, but it is constitutionally possible and the petition has over 4.8 million signers as of December 12… so why not?
- Electors are getting bombarded with emails, letters, and calls, and are receiving death threats. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT THREATEN THESE PEOPLE.
- Faithless electors, or Hamilton electors, are taking an enormous risk. They represent hundreds of thousands of people who voted Trump. This is one of the hardest things they will ever do.
- We don’t need to flip all electors to change the outcome. A couple dozen would probably do it.
- The New York Times: How Does the Electoral College Work?
- Fair Vote: Population vs. Electoral Vote
- The Huffington Post: The Electoral College Was Designed To Prevent Trump
- Time: The Electoral College Was Created to Stop Demagogues Like Trump
- CBS Denver: Colorado Elector Wants To Stop Trump From Becoming President